High Density Saddle Storage Solutions

A forum for general topics and questions.
Todd
Website Admin
Last Name: Holmes

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

This one has puzzled me for quite a long time, and I'm always interested in how others have handled this problem. At one time, I had a number of fairly complete saddles, and just finding a place to keep them was difficult. Too many modern methods are primarily aimed at organizing tack rooms, for 'working gear'. For long term storage of older, more fragile pieces with potentially compromised leather - these aren't really good solutions.

If you're willing to share, I'd love to see what some of you have come up with for your 'high density storage' solutions - what you've found works, what doesn't work. And not just saddles, other material is just as difficult to keep, store, display, etc. Bridles, blankets, stirrups, the various hanger-ons of military equipment...

Todd
Website Admin

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

Here's an example of some museum grade storage solutions that I thought were exceptional.

The conservation of a McClellan Saddle, and a custom mount
Ralph Lovett
Society Member
Last Name: Lovett

Society Member

Well, I don't know that I have the best answer but it seems to be working. I have a hundred or so military saddles and even though there are four warehouses, the space is still somewhat limited where these can go. There are humidity problems, and the possibility of rodents as the adversaries of keeping this saddle and harness collection in good order. I have set up de-humidifiers throughout the building. The building is a 1900s Cotton Exchange. I have also bought a large number of aluminum trash cans. These seal tightly and keep moisture and rodents out. I am frequently on the other end of the world from my collection, so I have friends that check on it for me from time to time and confirm that there are no moisture or mold issues cropping up. Again, not a prefect solution but it seems to be working: https://www.lovettartillery.com/Field%2 ... rness.html
Todd
Website Admin

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

Rodent damage is real - sounds like a good solution for collection that doesn't have a 'viewing' requirement. Once you start mixing up certain requirements, like being able to view and handle with preservation and security, then the tradeoffs start.

Here's an example of some rodent damage - I can't imagine it provided much in the way of sustenance, but I'm not a rodent so I couldn't say for sure -

rodent_damage.JPG
rodent_damage.JPG (246.61 KiB) Viewed 61 times