Ancient Roman Horse Equipment (and Medieval eqp.)

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Last Name: Holscher

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

Bumped up by request.

Pat

Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

Society Member

Donation 6th

Actually, Pat, if you really want to pick a big tooth-and-nail fight in horsey circles, just get onto the topic of the genetic origins of the breeds. Modern MtDNA studies have shed some light, but there is still more unknown than known. For one thing, MtDNA only follows the maternal line.

Eohippus is believed by many to be "the" ancestor of all modern horses. Many well-regarded authorities believe it, includng Deb Bennett who is certainly an authority on equine paleontology. I have discussed it with her in email, and her answers are as good as one would expect, and not those of a ideologue. Yet there are many gaps in the record and much deduction. Of course, there are gaps in all ancient and prehistoric records, and deduction is the very essence of science.

Eohippus is interesting, though. While speaking in Boston a year or so ago, I went over and looked at Harvard's specimen. To a somewhat informed layman like me it was sort of possible to see the expert's point.

Oddly, though, when you get past the prehistoric paleo-origins of the horse, ageement diminishes. Did breeds develop separately in several parts of the world from significantly different genetic stock (which seems to be the best theory now), or did they all branch from a single modern horse stem? When did the various breeds come about, and why? What is breed "purity," and does it really exist?

For these things, there are arguments and theories, some quite compelling, but no clear consensus.

Unfortunately, overlying it all today are breed myths which are a mixture of romance, legend, and commercial puffery. Many of these myths are the things that people really latch onto and are willing to fight over.

Joe
geocluj

For anyone who’s still reading I would like to update the link about Motte-and-Bailey castles (which is no longer available) with a newer one on the same topic:
https://www.castlesworld.com/tools/mott ... astles.php
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Last Name: Holscher

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

geocluj wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:53 am For anyone who’s still reading I would like to update the link about Motte-and-Bailey castles (which is no longer available) with a newer one on the same topic:
https://www.castlesworld.com/tools/mott ... astles.php
Thanks!
Pat

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?